Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lack of a Work Ethic .. the American Way

Remember the good ol' days? You know, the time when you had to get up in the morning to kill a mammoth and bring it back to the cave? No? Me neither ... but I do, to this day, get up every damn day and drag my arse to work. It's not like I want to ... I have to.

It is very rampant at my work place for people to call in hung over, or skiing, or whatever. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why this is okay. It's not just the young 'uns either. One woman even planned to call in with a hang over the day after her birthday. With that much planning, it seems that she could have just taken the day off ... but no, call in she did. The powers that be knew why and no reprimand was given because we are allowed a certain number of "sick days" off.

What seems to be the pattern here is that in the U.S. a lot of people under the age of 30 seem to have no concept of a work ethic. They grew up in a very cushy environment where any form of discipline was considered to be abusive ... weren't made to endure much discomfort, and the educational system was a breeze, what with the "dumbing down" and all. I think one of the things that scares me is that they'll be running this country when I'm elderly ... help us all.

2 comments:

complain away said...

And young people in other parts of the world, especially India and China right now, are falling all over themselves for any opportunity for success. Honestly, Americans, especially young Americans, are so damn complacent and I don't understand why.

There's no question in my mind that the American superpower phenomenon will come to an end. It's just a matter of how long that'll take.

California Girl said...

Most young people I have met in recent years feel the world owes them something. They have been spoon fed all their lives. I put a lot of this on their parents shoulders. These kids can't begin to think for themselves because they've never had to before. Sad.