Saturday, April 11, 2009

MIA

Wow, it's been quite a while since I've posted. So much has happened, I have no idea where to start. I know I'll never get it all into one post anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

My dog's tumor was benign, so all was good in that department. Then, shortly after that ordeal, he became lethargic. I don't mean to say he was low on energy, I mean to say he down-right had NO energy. When I would take him outside to go potty, he would sit down and lean his head against a tree. He had no desire to do ANYTHING ... eat, drink, walk, play ... nothing but sleep.

I took him to the vet where they ran the gamut of tests, and couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. Finally, my vet had a last resort idea ... he was right. It turns out that the little guy has Addison's disease. His kidneys don't make adrenaline, hence the missing energy. So now he gets hormone treatment once a month, and he takes prednisone twice a week.

I am so thankful for my vet, he is so reasonable on prices. He's only making me pay for the injections, he's giving me free prednisone, and not charging for office visits. This isn't a new thing for him either, he's always been so affordable, and good. I found him via a referral 15 years ago, and haven't used another vet since!!

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!!

Then, about two weeks ago, my larger dog bit the smaller dog because of a jelly bean under the living room chair. The result was the poodle ended up with a punctured lip, a missing tooth, and an almost comatose state because of his lack of adrenaline. More vet time, more treatment, but he's all better now ... again ...

No comments: