Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Back and Relaxed

I'm back from the woods! I am refreshed, revived, re - everything ... and it feels good! In spite of the fact that I live in the woods all the time, it's easier to relax when I'm dwelling in a tent. I think something about being at home makes me feel the burden of projects that still need to get done ... so I went camping and left all the burdens at home. Ahhh ...

On day one, while we were setting up the tent, the larger of my two dogs killed a baby chipmunk. I was being a responsible pet owner, I swear. I had him tied up securely ... but what's a dog to do when the critter comes within reach? He killed it ... didn't try to eat it ... I think he wanted to play with it. Minimal scolding ensued, along a proper cremation of the remains.

Also, about 150 yards or so from where we set up camp, I stumbled upon the remains of a deer. Now when I say "remains", I'm not referring to a dead body. Nope, nature doesn't work that way. I mean I found a section of the vertebrae, a leg bone, and another unidentifiable bone. That sucker was picked clean. I thought it was kinda cool, but then it made me nervous about lurking mt. lions and all.

I drank entirely too much whilst sitting around the campfire ... all nights. I got a sunburn that hurts like hell. I can't wait to do it all again.

**UPDATE**

The "lost tribe" I wrote about a couple of weeks ago ... turns out they weren't undiscovered. A photographer made the story up in order to stop logging in that area. Meanwhile, it was posted all over the place ... by reputable news sources. They aren't all being so quick on spreading the fact that it's a hoax (according to this article) because they think it puts their credibility in question. Well ... duh!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time, and...you're supposed to drink while camping! It's a requirement!