Friday, June 6, 2008

Okay, I suck ... I'm Down With That

**Please note that parts of this post were inspired by Complainaway**

There are some people in the "real world" who have been giving me a bunch of crap about my recent post celebrating the hell a former friend is experiencing. My response to them is generally an explanation about how it's the truth about how I feel and I can't control how I feel. They then say they understand that, "but did you have to air it on the 'net?" Um ... it's my blog, I can write what I want.

Let me explain something here. I absolutely do celebrate internally when some people have their lives crumble. Not all people, mind you. There are people out there who seem to take everything for granted. EVERYTHING! People who must have, have, have. They feel entitled. They are greedy, stingy bastards and they constantly have to keep up with the other folk in their suburban 'hood. These are the types of people who only give of their time and money to charitable causes for no other purpose than to look good.

These are the people who make me smirk when they get horrible diseases, have plumbing disasters in their homes, have deaths of family members or pets, and then cry out, "why me?" Well, let me tell you why ... because you are no better than anyone else and you are no more deserving of the "perfect life" than anyone else. We all have ups and downs ... this is called life sweethearts ... DEAL WITH IT!!! Rather than feeling like a victim, be happy that you don't live in, oh, Darfur, Iraq, China, Myanmar, South Africa ... the list goes on now, doesn't it? Shut your privileged North American mouth and be glad you don't have to worry about where your next meal is coming from.

This ends my rant.

1 comment:

complain away said...

Oh man. I'm a fairly socially-conscious human being, and it's always been important for me to do some good stuff for people I don't know. For years I tried to find a volunteer job that would be rewarding while not driving me crazy. And the experience I had was exactly what you're describing in your post - every job forced me to work with people who were so friggin sanctimonious. I swear they believed that they were saving the entire world by giving up like two hours of their week to fold paper or lick envelopes.

Newsflash, people: you're giving up a bit of your time to do something good, and that's great, BUT YOU ARE NOT A MARTYR.

I cringe constantly these days when I think of what people in other parts of the world would think if they could hear these self-proclaimed martyrs talk. We need to send them on a "vacation" to see how other people live. Immediately.