Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Malnourishment by Way of Gluttony

Here in the good ol' U.S. of A. it isn't uncommon for people to find out they are lacking in some essential nutrient necessary to be healthy. I live in a nation that is overrun with obese people (hey, I'm not finger pointing, I'm no skinny Minnie by any stretch of the imagination), alcoholics, drug addicts, sex addicts, gambling addicts, shopaholics ... well, you see my point? The USA is a nation full of people who like to overindulge. Sadly, I also fall into that category on occasion. (like me and the booze at the recent camping adventure)

In response to this, I've made a concerted effort to eat things with ingredients I can either pronounce, or Google search to see if it's really a food item. I make as much from scratch as possible ... and read the labels on EVERYTHING I eat. I am not a vegetarian, but I don't eat meat too often. Part of that is because I only buy all natural, organic, free range, never been injected with chemicals, really frickin' expensive meat ... the budget won't allow for too much of it, and that's okay ... meat isn't necessary every day of the week.

Where am I going with this? I have no idea ... this whole rant began because I was pondering the gluttonous lifestyle in this country, and began typing with no real aim. Another point I wanted to make was that once you start label reading, you can see how "they" sneak corn syrup and MSG into as much as possible. It's no secret that those two ingredients are far from healthy. That and all the aspartame that they laden "diet" foods with. I've got an idea!!! How about people stop starving their bodies with empty calories and eat real foods. In that process you will feel sated due to the actual nutrition in real food, and your body will stop feeling so hungry!! Why are you hungry? Because you're filling yourself up with CHEMICALS!!!

Soylent green is people!!!

This concludes my poorly structured rant. Thank you.

3 comments:

The CDM said...

I used to pay attention to the ingredients. since I lost 30 lbs I now just look at calorie count and serving size, haven't looked back since.

Anonymous said...

I used to try to eat only things I could pronounce, but it got to difficult. :-o Except for maple syrup. I'm a maple syrup purist. I hate the fake stuff that's full of chemicals. It has to be pure maple syrup or nothing!

California Girl said...

I am allergic to damn near everything so I have to cook things daily and don't eat out of cans. Veggies mostly, but I do like my steak and potatoes. And Swedish Fish for candy! I know you'll feel better...and eating something that you can pronounce the ingredients is a smart thing to do. Way too many preservatives in all our foods.